Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at Hilltop Hanover Farm and Environmental Center.
Position: FARM DIRECTOR
Westchester County, Department of Parks, Recreation & Conservation
Hilltop Hanover Farm, Yorktown Heights, NY
Westchester County seeks an experienced manager to run Hilltop Hanover Farm and Environmental Center that supports the County’s agricultural, farming, environmental protection, and sustainability programs. Includes oversight of all staff, building regional partnerships, and achieving the mission of Hilltop Hanover Farm.
Be part of a growing and energetic team, overseeing the operations at Hilltop. This position will implement a master plan with capital projects, and will expand the agricultural and native plant nursery, education, and food donations programs. Through these exciting initiatives and passionate team, Hilltop is poised to be a regional leader in the field.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Help to further shape and achieve the mission of Hilltop Hanover Farm;
- Oversight of all Hilltop Hanover Farm staff, including farm production, native plant nursery, programmatic, farm stand, maintenance, and support staff;
- Perform research on agricultural, horticultural and environmental issues and initiatives to implement best management practices and institute proper techniques and new initiatives at Hilltop;
- Evaluate programs and patron experiences, and create and implement program modifications to ensure they are meeting targeted goals and objectives in order to optimize public utilization of the facility;
- Act as liaison to the Friends of Hilltop Hanover Farm, including researching and pursuing funding opportunities to support programs and projects;
- Develop and implement maintenance plans for the site, including a Whole Farm Plan for the agricultural activities and Natural Resources Management Plan for the site;
- Assist in the preparation of capital plans and operating budgets for the site, and is responsible for the requisition of various supplies and materials;
- Plan, supervise, and participate in farm operations and livestock care;
- Communicate a variety of agricultural and environmental issues with federal, state and local public officials; making presentations to industry, professional and community organizations to develop partnerships; and represent the County with such matters.
- Thorough knowledge of the agricultural industry and current agricultural programs; operation of farm equipment, processes, methods and terminology necessary to the growing of crops (including nursery plant material) and the care of animals; state and federal regulations and legislation with regard to agricultural and environmental issues
Education and Experience Requirements:
- A Bachelor’s Degree and five years experience where the primary function of the position was in the development or implementation of agricultural, horticultural, or environmental programming, two years of which must have been in a supervisory or project management capacity.
- Preferred Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture, Environmental Science, Horticulture, Plant Sciences, or Ecological Restoration.
Hilltop Hanover Farm & Environmental Center is a 60 acre working farm and educational center that uses organic practices to grow produce and flowers for a market-style CSA, on-site farm stand, U-Pick produce field, and native plant nursery. The farm welcomes school groups throughout the year and the farm property is open to the public free of charge.
Potential onsite housing available
Westchester County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Cover letters and CV should be sent to PRC-Jobs@westchestergov.com