Work with Us!
We will have additional positions available for the 2020 season. Click each title for full job description and application instructions.
Farm Manager (REPOSTED, for Fall 2020/Winter 2021 start)
Education and Outreach Coordinator (ON PAUSE, please check back soon)
Veterans' Agriculture and Workforce Training Program Coordinator (ON PAUSE, please check back soon)
Full-time, year-round. Start date between October 2020 and February 2021.
Supervised by the Farm Director, the Farm Manager is responsible for the management, planning and oversight of our sustainable vegetable farm, which includes the production of vegetables, herbs, and flowers on 3-8 acres. This is a production-oriented position, but because we are open to the public and regularly host school programs and events, the Farm Manager will also demonstrate flexibility in scheduling daily tasks to accommodate other farm programs. We will be expanding our environmental programs over the next several years, and we seek a Farm Manager that is excited to help integrate our working farm with broad-based environmental education objectives, including active demonstration of organic agriculture best practices and continual improvement of our production systems while maintaining an ethic of long-term land stewardship.
- Supervise, plan, schedule, and participate in all aspects of our produce operation: seeding; greenhouse management; cultivation and field prep; transplanting; weed and pest management; harvesting, washing, and marketing crops
- Develop crop production plans for greenhouse, high tunnel, and field to cultivate a diverse and dependable revenue stream through our CSA, retail farm stand, wholesale, and U-Pick
- Monitor and be accountable for the progress of all field work
- Train and work alongside the farm crew as needed to ensure timely completion of daily tasks
- Manage all aspects of farm record-keeping, including harvest records, sales, and farm expenses
- Order materials and supplies; maintain inventory and keep records of same
- Use mechanized farm equipment; recommend new implements and/or methods to increase productivity and quality of produce
- Maintain a clean, safe, and organized work environment
- A minimum of 3 years of experience farming for commercial markets on 4 acres or more
- Farm management experience or 2-4 years of supervisory work in a related field
- Experience planning and managing work schedules; experience training staff
- Demonstrated knowledge of organic farming practices including crop rotation, cover cropping, composting, IPM, and soil fertility management
- Experience meeting production targets and revenue projections
- Demonstrated ability to stay informed of current research and/or implement new methods in sustainable agriculture
- Ability to safely operate tractors and other farm equipment
- Comfortable working with databases or farm-planning software, POS retail/inventory management software, and email marketing apps
- Ability to lead and work under pressure in a fast paced environment
- Comfortably able to lift 50lbs
- Valid driver’s license
- Experience with retail markets and farm marketing is a plus
- Record-keeping for organic certification
- Familiarity with variety trials and experimental design
- Proficiency in season extension practices
- Knowledge of natural lands management and ecosystem services
- Livestock and pasture management experience desired but not required
Schedule & Compensation
The Farm Manager is expected to work 40 to 48 hours a week during the growing season, with reduced weekly hours in winter. Our preference is for the Farm Manager to keep a Tuesday-Saturday schedule while our farm stand is open (late April through Thanksgiving). Compensation is commensurate with experience; anticipated starting range is $48,000-63,000. We are unable to provide housing at this time.
To apply, email a brief letter of interest, resume, a list of 3 references. Please note ‘Farm Manager’ in the subject line.