Work with Us!
We will have additional positions available for the 2020 season. Please check back in early January for all seasonal opportunities. Click each title for full job description and application instructions.
Full-time, year-round. Posted 11/12/19
Supervised by the Farm Director, the Farm Manager is responsible for the management, planning and oversight of our sustainable vegetable farm, which includes the production of vegetables, herbs, and flowers on 3-8 acres. This is a production oriented position, but because we are open to the public and regularly host school programs and events, the successful candidate will also be flexible in scheduling daily tasks to accommodate other farm programs. We strive to demonstrate best practices and seek a Farm Manager that is excited to continually improve our production systems while maintaining an ethic of long-term land stewardship. We will be expanding our environmental programs over the next several years, and we seek a Farm Manager that is excited to integrate our produce production with broad-based education projects.
- Supervise, plan, schedule, and participate in all aspects of our produce operation: seeding; greenhouse management; cultivation and field prep; transplanting; weed and pest management; harvesting, washing, and marketing crops
- Develop crop production plans for greenhouse, high tunnel, and field to cultivate a diverse revenue stream through our CSA, retail farm stand, wholesale, and U-Pick
- Monitor and be accountable for the progress of all field work
- Train and work alongside the farm crew as needed to ensure timely completion of daily tasks
- Manage all aspects of farm record-keeping, including harvest records, sales, and farm expenses
- Order materials and supplies; maintain inventory and keep records of same
- Use mechanized farm equipment; recommend new implements and/or methods to increase productivity and quality of produce
- Maintain a clean, safe, and organized work environment
- A minimum of 3 years of experience farming for commercial markets on 4 acres or more
- Farm management experience or 2-4 years of supervisory work in a related field
- Experience planning and managing work schedules; experience training staff
- Demonstrated knowledge of organic farming practices including crop rotation, cover cropping, composting, IPM, and soil fertility management
- Experience meeting production targets and revenue projections
- Demonstrated ability to stay informed of current research and/or implement new methods in sustainable agriculture
- Ability to safely operate tractors and other farm equipment
- Comfortable working with databases or farm-planning software, POS retail/inventory management software, and email marketing apps
- Ability to lead and work under pressure in a fast paced environment
- Comfortably able to lift 50lbs
- Valid driver’s license
- Experience with retail markets and farm marketing is a plus; we are looking to grow our on-site farm stand
- Proficiency in season extension practices
- Livestock and pasture management experience desired but not required
Schedule & Compensation
The Farm Manager is expected to work 40 to 48 hours a week during the growing season, with reduced weekly hours in winter. Our preference is for the Farm Manager to keep a Tuesday-Saturday schedule while our farm stand is open (late April through Thanksgiving). Compensation is commensurate with experience; anticipated starting range is $48,000-60,000. We are unable to provide housing at this time.
To apply, email a brief letter of interest, resume, a list of 3 references. Please note ‘Farm Manager’ in the subject line.