Join our team!
Native Plant Gardener Intern
Hilltop Hanover Farm and Environmental Center seeks a Native Plant Gardener Intern to join our team.
Hilltop Hanover Farm & Environmental Center is dedicated to the practices of sustainable agriculture, environmental stewardship, community education, and the creation of access to healthy food systems. Hilltop is a 60-acre working farm and educational center operated by Westchester County Parks, Recreation, and Conservation that uses organic practices to grow produce, flowers, native plants, and seeds for a market-style CSA, on-site farm stand, and native plant nursery. We have 10 acres in active cultivation. The farm offers educational programming throughout the year and the property is open to the public free of charge year round. A minimum of 10% of the produce and native plants grown are donated to those in need and for local restoration projects.
- Plan, install, and maintain the gardened areas of Hilltop Hanover Farm with a focus on creating new and innovative native plant displays.
- Perform tasks including but not limited to planting, editing, watering, weeding, mulching etc.
- Assist with native plant propagation and production as needed
- Join our native seed collector for at least one wild seed collection trip
- Develop interpretation of our native plants program through signage, blogs, articles, etc.
- Assist with educational programming related to native plants
- Help with other tasks around the farm as needed including animal chores, harvest, opening and closing of the farm, etc.
Skills and Qualifications
- At least one season of hands on horticulture or gardening experience or comparable educational experience
- Ability to work in all weather conditions while maintaining self-awareness of personal needs and safety
- Self motivated
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Some experience with small machinery such as lawn mowers and string trimmers a plus
- Detail oriented
- Ability to be flexible with daily tasks
- Excellent communication skills, open to receiving feedback
- Comfortably able to lift 40lbs
- Interest in ecological gardening, conservation and native plants
Position runs mid-April to October but is flexible depending on the candidate. Not to exceed 18 weeks.
$18 / hr
37.5 hrs per week
To apply: Send an email to email@example.com with a letter of interest, resume, and a list of 3 references, include ‘Native Plant Gardener Intern’ in the subject line. Applications and positions will be reviewed and filled on a first come first serve basis.
WESTCHESTER COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER