Join Our Team!
Hilltop Hanover Farm & Environmental Center is hiring 2-3 part-time, on-call Farm Educators for spring, summer and fall school visits. We are seeking inspired agricultural and environmental educators to fill a role perfect for someone who cares deeply about sustainability and local food, community, and teaching outdoors for the season (April-November).
Who we are:
Hilltop Hanover Farm & Environmental Center is a 60 acre working farm and educational center that uses organic practices to grow produce and flowers for a market-style CSA, on-site farm stand, U-Pick produce field, and native plant nursery. The farm welcomes school groups throughout the year and the farm property is open to the public free of charge.
Hilltop Hanover Farm staff are a group of people who each bring unique and varying skills and interest and who all care deeply about the mission of the farm to support our community through shared work, food, and environmental stewardship. Farm Educators are the bridge between the incredible resources found at Hilltop Hanover Farm and Environmental Center and the future stewards of our planet. Our staff team grows seasonally with the addition of educators and field crew, and a core group of year-round, full-time staff shares work and expertise as we collaborate to deliver delicious organic produce and high-quality educational programming to our community, schools, scouts and the general public of Westchester and beyond. We acknowledge that everyone has different personal goals and we work to support individual growth while making sure the needs of the farm are also met.
Hilltop Hanover Farm’s educational programming is fully aligned with state science and environmental education standards (NYSSLS and Next Gen Science Standards). As a farm and environmental center in the heart of Westchester, we are uniquely positioned to support teachers and students from New York City to the Lower Hudson Valley with hands-on lessons at the leading edge of place-based environmental education. Farm Educators deliver these lessons to school-age groups from pre-K through 12th grade. Therefore, knowledge of sustainable agricultural systems, farm work, and an environmental science background are very helpful, but not critical. Educational experience, good energy and flexibility are important, and on-site training is provided. A passion for educating youth, working outdoors and a love for the environment are a must. As a Farm Educator, you will work independently or on a team of up to four educators, and often with the farmers and field crew, to deliver hands-on lessons.
- Deliver Hilltop’s variety of lessons covering a wide range of topics, from basic farm information to detailed discussions about sustainable agricultural practices, in an engaging and thorough manner, to a wide variety of age groups
- Inspire and connect youth to their environment, food systems, and each other through meaningful experiences in the outdoors
- Prioritize an environment of emotional and physical safety, while creating lasting positive interactions
- Perform all necessary physical tasks associated with Farm Education, including instruction and demonstration of crop care and harvest with students, carrying and weighing produce, and cooking with students
- Be responsible for the safety of the visitors and the well-being of the animals and crops they meet
- Prepare for, and clean up after, programs
- Communicate and collaborate with the whole farm team! We want you to fully understand topics and help improve the programs you deliver.
- Detail-oriented with clear communication skills
- Love working outdoors in all weather while keeping students engaged and safe
- Ability to manage groups of up to 25 students efficiently during lessons and fieldwork
- Comfortably able to lift 40lbs
- Flexibility with daily tasks and schedule
- 1-2 seasons of experience working with students preferred, but not required
Schedule and Compensation
This is a seasonal part-time, as-needed position, with work available weekdays and Saturdays from April through November, with possible extension on either end. Farm Educators can expect to be scheduled more regularly proportionate with desire for work. However, working with schools in an ever-changing public health scenario necessitates flexibility. We are unable to provide transportation or housing at this time. Westchester County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please send resume and letter of interest to:
Jo Moore, Education Programs Manager | firstname.lastname@example.org