Join Our Team!
Hilltop Hanover Farm & Environmental Center seeks part-time Farm Educators for spring, summer, and fall school visits and public programs. We are seeking inspired agricultural and environmental educators to fill a role perfect for someone who cares deeply about sustainability and local food, community, native plants, and teaching outdoors (April-November).
Who we are:
Hilltop Hanover Farm & Environmental Center is dedicated to the practices of sustainable agriculture, environmental stewardship, community education, and the creation of access to healthy food systems. Hilltop is a 60-acre working farm and educational center operated by Westchester County Parks, Recreation, and Conservation that uses organic practices to grow produce, flowers, and seeds for a market-style CSA, on-site farm stand, and native plant nursery. We have 10 acres of active cultivation. The farm offers educational programming throughout the year and the property is open to the public free of charge year round. A minimum of 10% of the produce grown is for donation.
Hilltop Hanover Farm’s educational programming is fully aligned with state science and environmental education standards (NYSSLS and Next Gen Science Standards). As a farm and environmental center in the heart of Westchester, we are uniquely positioned to support teachers and students from New York City to the Lower Hudson Valley with hands-on lessons at the leading edge of place-based environmental education. Farm Educators deliver these lessons to school-age groups from pre-K through 12th grade. Therefore, knowledge of sustainable agricultural systems, farm work, and an environmental science background are very helpful, but not critical. Educational experience, good energy and flexibility are important, and on-site training is provided. A passion for educating youth, working outdoors and a love for the environment are a must. As a Farm Educator, you will work independently or on a team of up to four educators, and often with the farmers and field crew, to deliver hands-on lessons.
- Deliver Hilltop’s variety of lessons covering a wide range of topics, from basic farm information to detailed discussions about sustainable agricultural practices, in an engaging and thorough manner, to a wide variety of age groups
- Inspire and connect youth to their environment, food systems, and each other through meaningful experiences in the outdoors
- Prioritize an environment of emotional and physical safety, while creating lasting positive interactions
- Perform all necessary physical tasks associated with Farm Education, including instruction and demonstration of crop care and harvest with students, carrying and weighing produce, and cooking with students
- Be responsible for the safety of the visitors and the well-being of the animals and crops they meet
- Prepare for and clean up after programs
- Communicate and collaborate with the whole farm team! We want you to fully understand topics and help improve the programs you deliver.
- Detail-oriented with clear communication skills
- Love working outdoors in all weather while keeping students engaged and safe
- Ability to manage groups of up to 25 students efficiently during lessons and fieldwork
- Comfortably able to lift 40lbs
- Flexibility with daily tasks and schedule
- 1-2 seasons of experience working with students preferred, but not required
Schedule and Compensation
$16+ Depending on experience
This is a seasonal part-time, as-needed position, with work available weekdays and Saturdays from April through November, with possible extension on either end. Farm Educators can expect to be scheduled more regularly proportionate with desire for work. We are unable to provide transportation or housing at this time.
Westchester County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please send resume and letter of interest to: