Hilltop Hanover Farm and Environmental Center seeks a dynamic, creative, and collaborative Farming Manager. We seek an individual with a strong farming background who can effectively lead and inspire a team, assist in strategizing the short and long-term goals of the farm, and share and move forward values important to the overall mission of the farm.
Hilltop Hanover Farm & Environmental Center is dedicated to the practices of sustainable agriculture, environmental stewardship, community education, and the creation of access to healthy food systems. Hilltop is a 60-acre working farm and educational center operated by Westchester County Parks, Recreation, and Conservation that uses organic practices to grow produce, flowers, and seeds for a market-style CSA, on-site farm stand, and native plant nursery. We have 10 acres of active cultivation. The farm offers educational programming throughout the year and the property is open to the public free of charge year round. A minimum of 10% of the produce grown is donated to those in need. This is a highly public-facing, interactive position.
- Effectively leads, inspires, plans, and operates our food production program and team
- Contributes to and participates in the whole farm plan, which takes into account best management practices, infrastructure and sustainability, as related to agricultural and horticultural production.
- Utilizes and develops practices, procedures, and techniques of modern farm management and helps transition farm to fully regenerative practices
- Plans, oversees, and participates in farm operations and livestock care
- Creates and implements crop, amendment, and cover crop plans
- Hires and trains farm staff
- Creates an inclusive and welcoming team environment
- Integrates farm program with educational and volunteer programs
- Participate in regular staff meetings as needed and by request
- Represent the farm professionally with customers, CSA members, visitors and other stakeholders
- Play a key role in ordering, submitting receipts, tracking yields and overseeing the yearly farm production budget.
- (a) Possession of a high school or equivalency diploma and four years of experience in the maintenance and operation of a working farm or horticulture nursery operation; or (b) six years of work experience, including four years of experience as defined in (a).
- Experience in managing personnel and teams
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation Pesticide Certification Category 1A Agricultural Plants (or ability to become certified within one year of hire)
- Experience with operation and maintenance of tractors, implements, and other farm equipment
- Valid Driver’s License
- Ability to lift 40+ lbs repeatedly
Salary Range and Benefits
$64,990 - $81,035
Full-time position including health insurance, paid time off, pension, and other benefits.
Potential housing available
Please send your resume to:
Westchester County is an Equal Opportunity Employer